Re: [TenTec] interesting eHam review

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] interesting eHam review
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:03:56 -0400 (EDT)
could there be some delight in getting rid of the wife in there also????

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place
Marietta Ohio  45750

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:

eHam 7800 review with an interesting take on the Orion and 7800....

rob / k5uj

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2006 12:33
Superb (with a caveat) Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I kept my mouth shut during a recent divorce and received a windfall that afforded me this rig and a PW-1 Amplifier. I replaced an Orion and Titan III station - so I do have something that is also "the cats meow" to compare to.

I moved from a 5 acre antenna farm to a .33 acre wooded lot. I decided to get rid of the tuner and go with SteppIR BigIR vertical and a 2 element SteppIR Yagi on a Force-12 LPT-1242 crank up - all painted green and very much hidden in the redwoods.

Anyway back to the rig. I wanted 6M and the built in RTTY / PSK encoder / decoder and 200 watts (I used a Mark V and wire antennas with 200 watts or less to get 8BDXCC and 291 all time new one's - so only use an amp when I absolutely must). I started out as a die hard QRP-er way back when - oh well . .

The 7800 and PW-1 combo, along with the SteppIR antennas are the most fun station I have ever assembled. Bar none.

But, I must admit - the 7800's receiver is no better than the Orion (original Orion), in fact, I am quite sure that the Orion is a better receiver. This isn't a lab test - just the ears of a DX-er at 308 entities looking for new one's - the really rare ones where everyone and his kid brother and screaming for.

If I didn't care about RTTYand 6M and 200W I would have purchased the Orion II - that is THE best rig for the money at any price point!

But I have fallen in love with RTTY and love using 200 watts again - and the amp very little to work "all time new one's".

If you want value for the money - seriously look at the Orion II and Titan III. Or maybe wait until the 7800 starts selling on the used market.

But while I feel a little foolish - I must admit, I am having the time of my life with this station.