Re: [TenTec] PSK/RTTY Which rig?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PSK/RTTY Which rig?
From: "Bob Towers" <2m0kdz@beeb.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:33:27 -0000
======= 06-7-5 6:07, your message: [TenTec] PSK/RTTY Which rig?=======

I am looking seriously at getting another rig, to run PSK31 and RTTY on.  I
have a Jupiter now, that run Voice and CW with, but I'd like to pick upanother
"Something" just to dedicate to digital modes.

  The only criterion that I'm trying to meet, is that it must be a 100 Watt rig.

  Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be available on the used market?

  Thanks,
Dave, W5DMT
Dave,

A lot of so-called 100 watt rigs won't manage 100 watts on PSK31 or RTTY
because these are 100% duty modes, in contrast to SSB or CW. Most of them won't
manage more than 40-50 watts.

I use my Omni V.9. With Carl Moreschi's replacement ROM, the serial port
behaves itself - essential for CAT - and the rig will do 100 watts output
without giving any impression of being stressed. So go for an Omni.

Why do you want 100 watts, anyway? 50 watts is more than adequate for these
modes in my experience. 20 watts on my Argonaut V is pretty good, especially
using Olivia.

73

Bob
2M0KDZ