[TenTec] The Age of Consumer Beta Testing

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] The Age of Consumer Beta Testing
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:25:16 EDT
I've watched with interest how this community has bashed Ten-Tec's efforts
to raise the performance bar with their new radios.  All I can say is take  a
look around you.

Microsoft releases major operating systems with security flaws so serious
that they invite hackers to come in.  The Mini-Cooper automobile has such
serious bugs in it's processor that it doesn't properly shift between  gears.
My
new Sony Viao notebook computer would crash inexplicably (and  continues to do
so) and no one could tell me why.

Folks, this is life as we know it.  Few, if any, products with complex
software instruction sets arrive in the customer's hands bug-free.  We are  in
the
age of consumer beta testing, like it or not.

Compared to the volume of laptops, automobiles, and software  releases, a
radio like the Orion is almost a "one-off" item.  With a  sample size of just a
few thousand, of which their use is segmented in niche  activities (such as CW
only, phone only, contesting, DXing, etc), it may be  impossible to find a
common cause for a particular bug.  In effect,  some of the patches simply
treat
the individual symptom, not the collective  root cause!

The concerns expressed are certainly legitimate, there are serious issues
with both radios.  It is particularly disturbing that the code expertise  lies
in the hands of a very few individuals.  Yet, we have to face the  reality that
these radios, with all their flaws, still have capabilities beyond  anything
we've imagined before, and at a cost of less than an 1960 Collins S  Line in
today's dollars.

This can be a constructive and proactive forum, and recognizing the nature
of software-based products, I hope we are part of the solution, not the
problem.

Paul, K5AF