Re: [TenTec] Paragon memory loss ...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon memory loss ...
From: "Vic Klein" <vhklein@ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 23:18:21 -0400
Do you have a voice board installed in your Paragon? That board can run the
battery down unless a simple fix (adding a diode) is performed. Second, are
you sure yours has the charging circuit for the nicad battery? If not, that
could explain the memory loss. Check to see if there is voltage at the
battery terminals. If there is no voltage, you can use an alkaline battery.
If the charging circuit is there, however, use of an alkaline battery can be
dangerous to the radio. There are reports of some that literally exploded
severely damaging the inside of the rig.

I have a voice board and an RS-232 board in my Paragon with a nicad memory
battery. My shack is such that all power (save to one outlet that runs a
cable modem and router) goes off with the wall switch when I leave. I have
left my Paragon unpowered for a week or more when travelling and not lost
any memory, so the battery system does work.

Finally, if you want to be able to back up your memories to your computer
and just reload them when you have a glitch or forget and disconnect the
battery and you have a serial board in your Paragon, contact me off list and
I can send you a control program to run your Paragon and manage memories.

=Vic=
WA4THR