Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SDR-1000
From: "David H. Walker" <k0cop@onlymyemail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:04:11 -0000

73,K0COP

David H. Walker
Aiken, SC
k0cop@onlymyemail.com
Virus scan by BitDefender

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Lee A Crocker
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 00:46
To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] SDR-1000

You are right in many aspects the SDR-1000 does not
equal the Orion, it surpasses it.  I own 2 SDR-1000's
and one Orion.  My Orion has been relegated to being
my 75M ragchew radio because the SDR is better at weak
signal work, contesting and DXing especially on CW.
The receiver has better selectivity (yes I have the
Inrad 600hz roofing filter) and it is quieter than the
Orion.

I also have the SDR 1000 and an Orion. Interesting to compare the two. Both
radios are good for what I do with them. What TENTEC must understand is
communication with the owners is paramount to success. If the users do not
get regular updates about the products then the eventual "black cloud" moves
in. The Flex Radio group has done an excellent job not only with the radio's
software but also explaining what the radio can do and what it can't do! As
far as I can determine TENTEC has done very little to encourage the users to
expect any improvements. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is a
very big mistake. TENTEC is becoming a "half way TENTEC". Big hype but
little else. The Orion series works fine for a new radio. The problem is the
company's  abilities to admit certain failures in the public domain. So if
TENTEC is reading our email let's start giving weekly updates as to problems
and what is being done to fix these problems. It doesn't take much effort to
say a few encouraging words to the flock! I don't mean "we are working on
the problem". I mean "yes we are working on such and such and expect a
release of a fix for this problem next week"!
David