Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec PA design

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec PA design
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:34:12 -0500
On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 10:45 -0400, Bill Tippett wrote:
> K5KVH wrote:
>  >Add a circuit breaker per the Ten Tec
> supply practice, and you should be fine.
>
>          I hesitate to bring up the Air-Pax
> debate again, but can anyone explain why
> TT does not use the Air-Pax instead of
> a normal 25A fuse.  Surely not cost in a
> $4k rig like Orion.  I don't mind adding
> an Air-Pax but it causes me to wonder why
> TT did not design it in to begin with?
>
>                                  73,  Bill  W4ZV
The 25 amp fuse is too insensitive for PA protection. Neither it nor a
25 amp breaker are likely to trip at less than 125% which they should
hold indefinitely, that's 31.25 amps. That's why I use a 15 amp fuse to
protect my Corsair II and it has so far. It seems to be as effective as
the Airpax which I don't have. That 15 amp fuse from a reputable
manufacturer (I use nothing but Buss fuses, no off shore products) seems
to be fast and sensitive enough.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,