[TenTec] SDR-1000

To: tentec@contesting.com, rohre@arlut.utexas.edu
Subject: [TenTec] SDR-1000
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:02:56 -0400
K5KVH wrote:
 >It seems time to reaffirm that the SDR 1000 is a direct conversion radio and
can never, no matter how much software it has, equal the performance of a
Ten Tec receiver in the Orion.  You can't put selectivity after the front
end and fix problems inherent to the front end.  That is what the close by
signal sensitivity to overload is about with DC radios.

         Stuart this is contrary to my understanding
and ARRL's Product Review as reported in October QST.
Could you be more specific about your comment and
compare appropriate ARRL measurements (IMD, BDR, etc)
from their Product Tests?

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Before anyone else runs to their local Advance
Auto Parts store and buys Buss ATC 15A fuses, that is
the wrong size for Orion.  I'll take mine back and
exchange them for the smaller size Orion uses.  BTW
cost was $2.44 including tax for 5.