[TenTec] Modifying Centaur air intake to reduce air noise?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Modifying Centaur air intake to reduce air noise?
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 06:37:54 -0700
I wonder if anyone has successfully reduced the Centaur's noisy cooling
system through modifications to the actual case. It seems to me that the
slotted 'louver' design itself produces a siren effect due to the high
velocity of air being sucked past the horizontal slots (a friend
reminded me of the mechanics of how sirens work and the similarity to
the Centaur louver air feed). I have been considering removing this
entire section of top and bottom case and placing a safety round wire
fan grill over the top.... or even just leaving it open all together....
perhaps inserting a chimney (pvc) through the case right up to the fan
itself to minimize all hard edges. Anyway, before attempting a physical
mod as dramatic as this I was wondering if anyone else had attempted
this and what were your results? I think I recall someone 'bending the
existing slots to minimize their apparent surface area, but I think
removing them altogether would be a far better approach? Thoughts on this?

Jerry, KG6TT
Fairfield, CA