Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ v. Corsair

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ v. Corsair
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:08:30 -0700
On Jul 27, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Craig Roberts wrote:

> Please pardon me if this is an "apples and oranges" question, but, how
> would you compare the Corsair with the Omni 6+ in operation?  Is there
> significant difference in performance?

"It depends" on your needs and desires, Craig.  For the basic CW op who
doesn't need to QSY like crazy, hunt/pounce, stuff like that, I think
the Corsair can offer basic performance that is just as good as the
OMNI VI.  The OMNI VI has many more features and the potential for some
better roofing filtering, way cool if you like to fiddle around and
squeeze the last ounce of performance out of the rig.  For my buck, 99%
of the time, the Corsair is equal.

> I have a Corsair and am generally very happy with it.  In fact, the
> only
> significant complaint I have is about its instability before warm up
> (though, as PTO solid state rigs go, it's certainly better than my
> Drake
> TR-7 was).  I do like to run digital modes, so I'm guessing the Omni
> might be better suited to that, too.  I'm just wondering if the extra
> bucks invested in the Omni 6+ would buy me a significant step up?

If the only significant complaint you have is PTO warmup, there is a
small board (kit) for the PTO to fix that.  I'd go looking for that!
(Depending on how exacting your digital operations are, it may help
there, too, check the specs on the board, it is capable of certain
"jumps" in frequency when its parameters are exceeded, though I think
it is not hard to keep things within limits.)

Step up?  It is a personal question :-)  I sold my Corsairs and held on
to my OMNI VI, but I often laugh at myself for that.  By far, most of
my operation would be just as well served by a Corsair.  However, the
geek inside me just loves the audio DSP (very useful at times) and the
roofing filter (not that I need it, but it is fun to demo to myself
just how sharp my filtering can get!)  Worth the extra dough?  You have
it lying around?  Good for you!  I did (once!)

WA3JPG
Clark Savage Turner, J.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science
Cal Poly State University