Re: [TenTec] Orion Classic, W2IHY, PR-40, new V2 software

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Classic, W2IHY, PR-40, new V2 software
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:05:26 -0700
I can't speak directly to the original Orion with v. 2, but I run a PR40,
W2IHY 8-band and EQPlus with the Orion II.  Interestingly enough, the PR40
sounds excellent with no EQ at all.  Everything flat, including the settings
in the Orion.  Low frequency response at 50 Hz, TX bandwidth at 3.6 kHz
which is actually 3.3 kHz by measurement.  I usually do add some EQ though,
but only a little at 50 Hz (4-6 dB) and about 4 dB at 2400 and 3200 to
counter roll-off in most receivers near those frequencies.  I run the mic
and all other audio bound to and from the radio and the computer through a
Behringer UB1202 board into the Aux I/O on the back, thus bypassing the
compressor in the Orion.

I run the EQPlus with the EQ off (kill the bass, treble at 2:00 with the
Orion SP at 4 for DX), comp at 9:00, DE at 12:00, Delay and Level at 10:00,
effects on 1.

For killer DX pile-ups, I have recently added my ancient Alpha Vomax
processor to the mic line.  With the Vomax in, the Bass down and the Treble
at 2:00 (8-band as above or with no EQ) and the Orion SP at 3, the average
power output more than doubles!

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC