[TenTec] My dream Ten Tec rigs (was: Omni VII)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My dream Ten Tec rigs (was: Omni VII)
From: Caitlyn Martin <k7vo@mizuhoradio.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 01:27:05 -0500
Hi, everyone,

Since folks are saying what they wish Ten Tec would do next, here is my
wish list...

Argonaut VI -- Similar to an Argonaut V with the following additional
functionality:

1- 6m coverage
2- DSP noise reduction function
3- Built-in IF converter to 12MHz with an output jack for DRM reception
4- Optimized low power consumption mode (possibly with less
functionality) for portable operation
5- RF Gain control

V/UHF rig:

With 6m in the HF line this rig could start at 2m (or 4m for the UK
market) and work up.  At a minimum it would cover 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm.
By having 222MHz coverage it would immediately appeal to the V/UHF
contesting crowd.  Take a look at how the Yaesu FT-736R has held it's
value.  One of the main reasons is the bands it can cover.  It
certainly isn't a stellar performer.  Ideally if Ten Tec could include
two additional UHF bands (33cm and 23cm) and actually have excellent
receiver performance they'd have a rig the V/UHF crowd would line up
for.  Price point?  $2000-$2500, similar to an Omni VII.  Maybe even
make it look like an Omni VII.  A little brother rig, similar to an
Argonaut VI but for 2-3 V/UHF bands would also attract attention.

BTW, what killed the 6N2's ability to sell was the fact that it only
covered two bands and that early versions seemed to have relatively
poor receiver sensitivity, particularly on 2m.  V/UHFers are weak signal
people. They need superior receiver performance or they won't buy a rig
no matter how inexpensive it is.

Anyway, just my .02....  I don't expect Ten Tec to produce either of my
dream rigs.

73,
Caity
K7VO