Re: [TenTec] Omni VII filters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII filters
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:29:02 -0500
On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 07:12 -0400, Carter, K8VT wrote:
> So, the Omni VII preliminary specs say "Collins mechanical filters"...
>
> Now, back in the day, I was a Drake man, not too much into Collins.
> However, I vaguely remember reading something about mechanical filters
> not being the best under QRN conditions. (subject to ringing or some
> type of distortion???)

S-line vintage Collins filters were bad about ringing. The IF output
connector showed a continuous envelope from line noise. They turn static
clicks to lengthy crashes.

The rounded shoulders inherent in the ladder filters used for a long
time in analogue Tentecs don't ring much. Lightning still sounds like
clicks.

> Any comments on mechanical filters vs crystal filters?? Any problems
> with mechanicals and QRN , or is my memory failing me (again)?  :-)

The new Collins mechanical filter for CW in my FT-857D doesn't seem to
ring nearly as much as the SSB filter did in my 75S-3B.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,