Re: [TenTec] Corsair II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 16:27:50 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2006 11:48:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
w3nr@comcast.net writes:

D. Kemp  wrote:
> What are you guy's opinions about the Corsair II?
>
> I have been looking at some recently and they are
> finally in  a price range I can afford.

Mine is just an old beater with only 1 of the 3 "extra" filters  installed ,
I use it generally for listening to nets and as a backup to the  Orion.  I do
have a ext vfo for it and run it on a TT power supply.   its reasonably quiet,
( RBT is quieter than phase noise) and it is fairly stable  especially if you
use the  remote vfo during warm up. I run mine to a z 100  autotuner into an
80 meter wire and its  a good value for the money. ( I  have a total of 10 hf
rigs) it has an easy to listen to sound.

it does not have computer control ability, so that may be a draw back for
you. I use the orison through the logger to the alpha 87a and the 3 ele steppir

for auto tune auto log functions. ( I don't type well and need all the help I
 can get)

but for $200 to $400 for a nice one, and most parts still available for
repair, I would get one and add the remote vfo for working split and stability
on
warm up.  mine used mostly in the phone mode

not the best but it ain't bad...

tom N6AJR