Re: [TenTec] SORRY I JUST CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE!!

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SORRY I JUST CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE!!
From: Ronald Hands <rhands@mountaincable.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 07:55:24 -0400
w8au@sssnet.com wrote:

> Anyone familiar with WU telegrams, Military messages, AP and UPI
> teletype news, etc knows that they were all done in CAPS.  Saved
> using the "shift" key, and lower case was not necessary for message content.

  This was done because they were working with primitive technology, not
because of any inherent virtue in all-caps messaging.
  Any time saved by not using the shift key at the AP office was lost
many times over at newspaper copy desks where editors had to laboriously
mark each of the capitals before sending the stories for typesetting.  I
know; I was one of those long-suffering copy editors.
 Newspapers long ago discovered that all-caps headlines were hard to
read.  As far as I know, they've all abandoned that style.  Internet
users should follow suit.

-- Ron
VE3SP