Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:44:54 -0400
The SDR 1K,  and other SDR rigs of the same ilk,  will have to move the SDR
concept into a more plug and play type of radio,  as most hams today do not
want to have to be continually downloading software to correct bugs,  and
wiring connecting cables to run  amps or other accessory apparatus which is
presently the case with the SDR 1K.   Most hams of this day and age are
becoming appliance operators,  and just want their rig to work like it is
supposed to from day one, and when they turn it on they expect it to work
the same way it did yesterday. They don't want to spend all their time
fighting glitches in software and continually experimenting to try to get a
sound card to work properly.  (ie The Presonus box)

I have heard ops of the SDR 1K make comments like,  "I don't like to be tied
down to a computer screen all the time." Or, "I would not want this to be my
only radio."   So, I think the SDRs have a long way to go before they can
become universally accepted by the ham community. The SDRs are still
experimental and will probably never fully replace the Orion and 7800 type
of rigs with their many knobs and their dependable performance.  The SDRs
will co-exist with the Orions and 7800s for some time to come,  but in my
opinion will never fully replace the traditional radio for amateurs.