Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 10:44:27 EDT
In a message dated 8/19/06 1:33:29 PM Greenwich Standard Time, n9dg@yahoo.com
writes:
> well I'm in my mid 40's and I grew up in an analog only world
> and do find such a statement laughable too. I simply have
> chosen to extend my "formative" years until the day I die. As
> such I will always consider new ideas, even ones for old
> problems. If they make sense in concept and fit my needs I'll
> at least try them. And if they don't quite fit my needs "as
> is" then I'll try to figure out way to modify them until they
> do.
>
> >  Of course, Ken's opinion might just be a perpetual truism.
> >  We may always have a need for direct, tactile interfaces.
>
> This is partially true, consider though that the best tactile
> feedback mechanism for the future might not always be the
> same ones as before.

At age 63, I now find that my eye-hand coordination is not as good as it used
to be, and I find mice not as easy to use as old-fashioned knobs.  The
pad-type device on a laptop is even harder for me to use (so now I have a real
mouse
on my laptop).  Windows must have been designed by folks in their 20s and 30s
with good coordination.  As we think about interfaces for the future, we must
remember that we're not getting any younger :-)

73,

Ray W2RS