Re: [TenTec] Which HF directional antenna?

To: dock0evz@earthlink.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Which HF directional antenna?
From: Ira Franklin <k4ymq@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 04:39:54 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Doc, I would highly recommend the hy-gain TH11-dx it is 11 elements on 24 ft
boom, and covers 20,17,15,12,10. It does an excellent job. I run 100 watts here
and dont have trouble working even the rare dxpeditions. It is on a 40 ft self
supporting tower and for 6 meters I have a 5 element yagi about 6 ft above the
TH11, the TH11 is at 41' and 6 mtr at 47 feet.
  good luck and 73
  Ira
  K4YMQ
  Pell city, Al

"W.D. (Doc) Lindsey" <dock0evz@earthlink.net> wrote:
  Dear Gang:

Well I am finally ready to buy and install a directional antenna for at least
the higher HF bands. Been a ham now for 46 years, but have only used wire
antennas (dipoles, inverted vees, wire ground planes, long wires. For 5 years I
had a 560' horizontal loop up 33 feet suspended by wooden telephone poles in
North Dokata. All of the antennas worked after a fashion, and sometimes
surprisingly good results were obtained.

I have also used GAP Titans in two QTH's with excellent results overall. I may
put up here in central New Mexican, as well. BUT I right now to put up a yagi
of some sort, for at least 20M - 10M. Maybe including 6 M as well.

There are no covenants or restricts here, and our asl is close 7000, so maybe
the yagi would not to have a very tall metal tower. ANYWAY, what suggestions do
you have. And fire away, because I honestly know practically zilch. There are
some excellent fellow QRPers nearby who would make their expertise and strength
available.

So what an effective, durable antenna system you might recommend? I will
happily receive all suggestions and put them into the mix. Thanks in advance
for any help you might offer.

73,
---Doc/K0EVZ PS I would be willing to call some of you, on my dime, to get this
process underway. Lately I have missed several DX stations, apparently due to
low power on my end. And conditions of course have their own challenges.
W.D. (Doc) Lindsey
dock0evz@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.