[TenTec] O2_COMMUNICATION_PROBLEM_FIXED

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] O2_COMMUNICATION_PROBLEM_FIXED
From: "George" <goofyham@highstream.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:56:52 -0400
I guess I owe everyone an explanation as to my problem with my Orion2  and my
SteppIR control box using the Fluidmotion Y cable communicating with my
computer .
First let me say that when I received the Y cable and connecting it up it
would not work. Either the computer, or the SteppIR box, could only be
connected to the Y cable at a time for the other to work.
I finally got it working but don't ask me how. I can only offer a half baked
explanation. Here goes!

When the system did not work I set out to modify the Y cable to look like
the single cable that was supplied by Fluidmotion and it had pins 2-3-5 and
7 cut through from one to the other and it has been working fine for almost
two years.
When the Y cable didn't work out of the box I set out to make the Y cable
the same a as the two sided original cable, that is pins 2-3-5 and 7
connected through, but this arrangement stopped the computer from working while
on the Y cable. I could only have one or the other, the computer, or
SteppIR controller on the Y cable at a time for the other to work.
I gave up trying to figure what the problem was and put the Y cable back to
the Fluidmotion pin connections, that is only pins 2 and 5 connected at the
SteppIR end.
When I connected the "put back" cable it started to work.
Oh no what changed?

I can only figure that since I did not check the Fluidmotion Y cable before
I started to rip it apart and putting it back together that it was wired
wrong from start???
I'll never know but thanks to all that responded. My DX4WIN and SteppIR are now
both working on the Y cable connected at the same time.
73's
George