[TenTec] Omni VII -- Someone Listened

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII -- Someone Listened
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:47:05 EDT
I was very pleasantly surprised to see the shots of the new Omni VII.   I
sent Scott a drawing of what I thought it should look about 6 years ago, and
someone obviously listened.

I don't recall my exact words but they went something to the effect that
...." I have been and will always be a Drake Line guy.  The ergonomics of  the
R-4 series is probably the best ever, tune with the right hand, control gain
and filters with the left.  I particularly mentioned the bandwidth  selection
on
the ring of the PBT tuning, which was directly above the RF gain  (which I
believe to this day is the most important receiver control).

I also complained how the RIT control and the RIT/XIT selections should be
co-located and not a two hand operation like they are with the Omni VI.

Voila!  My wishes have come true.  AF and RF on the same stalk,  PBT and BW
on the same stalk, RIT/XIT on/off selections right above the RIT  control.  If
this radio has even the same capability as the Omni Six, I  know I will like
it simply because the ergonomics look so good.  Knowing  that it is a
significant performance improvement over the Six just makes it that  much
sweeter!

Paul, K5AF