[TenTec] Orion V2.059

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion V2.059
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:53:30 -0500
I started some testing of Orion V2.059d code last night. I was trying to record
a voice message into the "SEND 1" memory. I initially found that I had to
substantially reduce the "MIC" setting, well below where it sounded good on
normal SSB transmissions, in order to get a recording that did not sound
distorted in the playback mode(I recorded the message with SP (Speech
Processing OFF)). When I turned the SP (Speech Processing) ON to a setting of 2
and played the recording, it appeared to enhance the "talk power of the signal"
- loudness in the monitor headphones and average power out on the power meter
(No quantitative measurements here). However,  as I increased the SP to 4 and
above, the signal sounded very distorted in the monitor audio - I have not
checked with someone on the air to see if the transmit audio is also distorted
- tests were run into a dummy load.

I would be very interested in results from these kinds of tests - or
quantitative measurements - by others to help me understand other possible
settings/results with the voice memories.

Thanks,
Merle - W0EWM