Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amplifier - 110 volt?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amplifier - 110 volt?
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 09:53:24 -0400
Ed Cummins wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I am interested in the Ten Tec Centurion amplifier and was wondering if
> anyone has run this amp on 110v ?  It will be very difficult to get 220v
> into the shack.
>
> If not the Centurion I would be interested in recommendations for 1kw amps
> that can run on 110v.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ed  W3ETC

Ed,

Most amps, including the Centurion, will run on 120 v, but the problem
is current.  You will need up to ~30 A service on a 120v circuit for
full power.  Most 120 v circuits are 15 A; some are 20 A, but rarely
more.  You might have to limit your power to avoid blowing breakers.
Also, the voltage drop under load will be worse on 120 v compared to
240. (Four times worse, in terms of percentage, with the same wire size.)

All that being said, your signal on 120 v will be within 1/2 S-unit of
what you could get on 240 v (with same wire size!).  If you have to use
120 v, save some money and get an amp that doesn't draw more than your
AC circuit can comfortably provide.

73 Martin AA6E