[TenTec] O2 Sidetone...RST 599C

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] O2 Sidetone...RST 599C
From: "Vince Bond" <k7na@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 07:44:05 -0700
I have noted a somewhat similar sidetone issue with the original Orion using
2.059d. I've successfully loaded and used 2.059d three times and each time I
eventually start experiencing clicks and a somewhat less than pure sounding
sidetone. I finally tracked down the cause, at least in my circumstance.
     I always have VFO A assigned to my main receiver and VFO B to the
sub-receiver. I usually employ the sub-receiver for SWL broadcast listening and
tend to use LSB or USB with a wider bandwidth for near synchronous-detector
quality fade-free listening. If my sub-receiver is in the LSB or USB mode, the
sidetone problem will exist. If the sub-receiver is in a CW mode or AM, the
sidetone is pure with no clicks, raspy sound or other oddities. Of course, a
well known bug is the fact that allowing the sub-receiver to be in the AM mode
and pressing the tune button will mute the main receiver and will not recover
until the sub-receiver is placed into a mode other than AM. So, my work around,
even though I mostly use my sub-receiver for SWL broadcast listening, is to
make sure it is in the LCW or UCW mode while working CW on the main receiver.
    Not sure if this will be an issue with the O2, but thought I would share
it. Perhaps this bug is common knowledge or just an odd occurance here but I
have not seen any reference to it being caused by the sub-receiver being in the
LSB/USB modes. Just a thought.

Vince K7NA