[TenTec] [Orion] Resolving the low AUX audio output issue withfirmware .

To: "Ten Tec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] [Orion] Resolving the low AUX audio output issue withfirmware ...
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 20:41:06 -0700
Jerry:  You got a good deal on the Radio Design Labs module...they usually
sell for around $100.  I know the owner of that company, Joel Bump very
well.  He's not a ham, but an excellent design engineer.  The RDL product
line is made for commercial use which is why the price looks high, but all
of the dozens of stick-on modules they make are top quality and last
forever.

They make a microphone preamp that sells for about $100...a lot for ham use,
but cheap by broadcast standards.  The BBC bought one to study in there lab
against several others, including a $3,300 Rupert Neve preamp in a
gold-plated chassis.  The BBC determined that the RDL and the Neve were
identical in specs, so they bought a huge quantity of the RDLs!

I run the output of my O2 through a cheap Behringer mixer, so I can adjust
for any level, but I isolate the inputs and outputs of my laptop sound card
through an RDL STA-1 line amp in one direction and a pair of RDL ST-DA3
distribution amps in the other.  That completely got rid of all vestiges of
hum, noise, etc.

Ron N6AHA