Re: [TenTec] Orion MIC Settings

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion MIC Settings
From: "Robert Carroll" <w2wg@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:48:14 -0400
One thing I can say for sure with my Orion I.  With all the warts of the
various v1 firmware releases, SSB audio was not one of them.  With V2
firmware the processing and gain settings have changed, but that is no big
deal.  The problem I have is that the audio, as heard through the monitor
jack, is very likely to jump into what sounds like bad clipping and
splatter--a ripping sound. It is also heard on the air. This occurs no
matter how low I set the mic gain or processing.  The Orion almost seems to
settle down and find itself after a few bad "rips," but I almost have to
have my neck in a vise and the vocal cords sedated to keep it from breaking
up again--not much range tolerance.  I am one version behind the current V2
release.  I never had this problem with V1.  I am 98% cw so I don't get into
trouble often, but having seen this exact problem described a number of
times on this reflector, I am puzzled as to how TenTec let the problem slip
through their testing.  It's not just my machine, and I would think with
moderate on-the-air use and a fairly small sample of machines the problem
would have been detected and fixed before release.

Bob W2WG