[TenTec] RF susceptibility

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RF susceptibility
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:15:16 -1000
Hi Bill (and group),

Yes, you are right about changing the subject line. I have changed it in
this response.

Many of us have limited space for our ham shack and antennas. This often
results in our transmitting antennas being fairly close to the shack.
Even with proper grounding of transceiver, amplifier, matching devices,
keyers and other devices in the shack, there can be strong RF fields in
the shack.

We have all come to expect that typical consumer electronics equipment
has been built to operate in the typical home environment, which does
not include a 100 watt to1500 watt transmitter within several hundred
feet, in order to save a few nickels per unit. So, we are not surprised
to have RF susceptibilty problems with that equipment.

I still expect that equipment which is designed to produce 100 watts (or
to be used as part of a system that produces 1500 watts) of RF power to
be built so that it will operate in the environment it creates, right
out of the box, without us having to add ferrites to our headphone cords.

DE N6KB