[TenTec] New Radio - Day Two

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] New Radio - Day Two
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 06:06:51 -0800 (PST)
Jeez day 2, is that all it is... Seems like days and days...
Anyway, I received a number of replies both on and off the reflector... Thanks
to those who gave me white papers and tips... Thanks to all who commented...
Quite a nice community and no flames so far -  refreshing...

I am in the middle of a big antenna and rig thrash to get ready for CQWW CW...
Pulled up a reflector behind the 80 meter vee yesterday to improve the shot
into Europe...  So far in testing last night it does not seem to add
anything... Hmmm <picture tiny little brain smoking as it strains to think>
that is not what EZNEC shows... I will play with it today and tonite and may
even take it down...  Everything has to be ready by bedtime tonight as I will
have no time during the week..

Anyway, back to the main event here:
Used the O2 last night on 80 meters... Worked about a dozen countries in the LZ
and ITU tests that were running on 80...  Propagation was marginal at best,
QSB, weak signals <despite most of them running power>, lots of shot noise on
the band... I am sure that my 100 watts was not exactly bruising the ionosphere
going back the other way, either...  Also worked Japan this morning just about
sunrise ~ 8:05 AM...  This was on another vee that I put up broadside to asia
just for that purpose... Glad to see it plays as that is the first real Q on
that antenna...

Spent time playing with the AGC and RF Gain settings versus band width...  I'm
getting a feel for this rig... Finding that AGC off and RF Gain ~ 70 with 450
to 550 cycles bandwidth, works for weak signal DXing... I did wiggle the PBT a
couple of times, not sure what I am doing at this point compared to how I do IF
shifting on the MK-V and the Omni's, etc., so probably will leave it alone for
the contest and use the narrow filters and flopping the sideband to control
qrm...

No crashes in spite of my fumble fingers... I intend to use the sub receiver
for the listening antennas so I will begin trying to understand the fine points
of running that unit later today...

Day Two, color me still happy...

denny / k8do