Re: [TenTec] Side tone

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Side tone
From: "John B. Egger" <john_egger@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 03:15:21 +0000
Robert Redmon wrote:

>Is anyone else with an O2 displeased with their cw sidetone?  I have had my
>Orion 2 since March and have struggled with the side tone from day one.  I
>am not sure how to describe it; it just never sounds quite right.  Using my
>Icom and Yaesu radios for a while makes the problem seem even worse.  Make
>and break are just not clean .almost sounds like a chirp with a click on
>make.  No matter what frequency I set it at, when keying the radio (not when
>using the spot button) it sounds harsh.  Headphones makes it worse.  After
>the firmware upgrade to 2.037j, it seems to have gotten worse.
>

>Not related to power level.  Same at all power levels.  Not an rf problem.
>Not a headphone problem.I have several.all sound the same.various impedance.
>

>Bob K5SM

About a week after receiving my O2 I began a thread "O2
Sidetone...RST599C" (around October 1 2006). The problem only occurs
occasionally, and I haven't determined the set of bandwidth, noise
reduction, etc. settings common to it. Often it's clear as a bell, but I
was so concerned that I got my old Century 21 out to act as a monitor.
The O2's signal was fine, so I haven't used the C21 since.

--
--John K3GHH
Registered Linux User #291592