Re: [TenTec] Orion PEP

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion PEP
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:49:22 -0800
Mark:

I just looked at my Orion II using a Tektronix 2712 Spectrum Analyzer,
comparing CW output at 65% against PEP.  Using the 1 dB per major vertical
graduation scale (sub-calibrations at .2 dB intervals), I found that the
maximum PEP did not exceed the CW level under any condition.  I could get
the SSB level to equal the CW level only when whistling into the microphone,
or when running heavy processing, and even then only on sibilants.  The ALC
on the Orions, as well as on most modern SSB rigs, are pretty good at
holding SSB and CW output levels at their set points.

I would take PEP meter readings with a small grain of salt.  Meter
ballistics, time constants and measurement methodologies can all effect what
you see.

      Ron Castro
          N6IE
 www.N6IE.com