Re: [TenTec] Astron Power Supplies

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Astron Power Supplies
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:44:39 -0600

From: "Larry Menzel" <retire@means.net>
To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>,<orion565@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Astron Power Supplies
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:08:59 -0600

Hey, guys,

I?ve been using a 35amp Astron supplies in my shack. I have been running my
Orion off it since I got them, and with no problems.

It crapped out the other day, and I believe I read or heard someone say that
the negative post should be grounded to the case of the supply. The one I
have been using does NOT.

Well I just got a replacement supply, and I opened the case, and I can see
that indeed, the negative post is isolated with insulators on both sides of
the negative post. Do I recall Paul Clinton telling me that the post should
be connected to the case?

Number one, if so, why doesn?t Astron do that to begin with?  And second
question, will it do any harm to do so?

One possibility it allows more flexability in configurating the power supplies. One could for example place two in series and get a 24 volt power output. On the other hand if one desires the negative terminal to be the same potential as the chassis, he simply connects an additional connection to chassis.

Your opinions would be much appreciated before I put this one into service.

TIA.

Larry, N0XB Northfield, MN

4:36 PM