Re: [TenTec] Circuit breaker tripping excessively

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Circuit breaker tripping excessively
From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:06:45 -0500
Well, Ten Tec's official diagnosis is, "It could be anything" with a
first reaction "sounds like the PA."

Fair enough.  Without the rig on TT's bench, it is impossible for them
to pinpoint the problem.

The first thing I'll do when I get home tonight is measure the voltage
drop from the power supply under load.  It could be a supply regulation
problem.  That'd be nice because I'd much rather repair the supply than
the radio.

Of course, it's possible that the PA transistors have gone south.  That
would be unfortunate since the MRF277 finals are -- as has been noted --
"scarce as hen's teeth."  I've contacted one vendor who might be able to
supply a single matched pair.  We'll see.  If I can't get the finals, I
may have to convert to another PA scheme (or downgrade my Argosy to an
ersatz Argonaut).

I'll keep y'all posted.

73,

Craig