Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 22:47:25 -0500
I'm not familiar with Linrad, so on that I cannot comment.

DSP work is not done with general purpose microcomputers running the huge
overhead of an operating system and everything else.  I can well believe
that under those conditions, lots of latency results.

Rather, DSP is done with specialized DSP processors.  Their instruction sets
are optimized to DSP work, and so is their hardware.  In the cases I
mentioned, using the processors we had at work, the latency encountered was
trivial.  Certainly nothing you could hear with your ear, and nothing
approaching even 1 second.

Maybe in the rigs you mention, they have that level of latency.  Maybe they
don't use DSP signal processors.

All I was stating is that with readily available DSP processors, and doing
DSP processing, at low (audio) frequencies, the processing is effective and
produces results.

Perhaps I am mistaken in believing that there is actually a DSP processor
employed in the Orion, or that they do actual DSP processing with it.  Ten
Tec's deafening silence on this whole DSP issue is a glaring failure of
communication, IMHO.  Hopefully we can get some factual feedback on these
points (from Ten Tec that is).

73 de Gary, AA2IZ