Re: [TenTec] Is the Orion Noisy?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is the Orion Noisy?
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:54:59 -0800
Mike:

I hadn't noticed a problem with RF on the external speaker leads, but I'll
look into that.  My biggest problems were the headphones and CW paddles, but
they were fixed with ferrites.  Also, the 'big no-no"...using the 13.6 VDC
output on the back to run the pilot lights on the TT 238 tuner!  That one
caught up with me a few weeks ago.

There is processing on the mic input, even if the SP is off.  In this case,
it's an AGC built into the mic pre-amp chip.  It's the same chip used in the
W2IHY EQPlus and it holds the mic level down to prevent overloading the
analog-to-digital converter.

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)