[TenTec] TenTec] TX EQ = -14 dB for PSK31

To: "Tentec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec] TX EQ = -14 dB for PSK31
From: "Geoff Stokes" <geoff.g0byh@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:13:58 -0000
Hi John,

My experience with PSK on the ORION 1 is that you need to set the Tx Eq
to -4db but I think this could vary from system to system.

If you transmit a constant test tone on PSK into a dummy load and check your
output power over the whole of the audio transmit  bandwidth you will find
that there is a variation in output level. Be sure during this test that the
ALC light is not coming ON, I set the ORION power level for 100 watts and
then adjust the drive level to obtain approximately 25-30watts, more than
enough for most PSK contacts.
By now adjusting the transmit equalization you can obtain a more constant
output power off the whole of the Audio bandwidth.

Due to the varying efficiency of the PA stage you will also have to adjust
the drive level when changing bands to maintain a constant output level.
I use the software program MixW and with this you can program most of the
required info' into Macro's which can be sent to the ORION when changing
from band to band, i.e. drive levels, frequency, bandwidth, RF  gain, etc.

Hope this is some help... best regards

Geoff -  G0BYH