[TenTec] Titan III

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Titan III
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 05:46:49 -0800 (PST)
Well, the Titan III is on the air... No problems encountered... Yes, I did trip
the screen protection the first time, but got the hang of tuning up a screen
grid AB1 linear almost immediately... It makes 1500 out at 52 watts of drive
without even breaking a sweat ...
  First time on many years to have an amp on the desk right next to the radio,
so I am noticing the transformer hum on key down... Also, the relay switching
in QSK is louder than expected - think I need to put a rubber pad under the amp
to stop the desk top from acting like a sounding board..
  What is almost inaudible is the fan... Almost can't hear the sucker and with
the headphones on it is gone - this was unexpected...
  The QSK is - well I don't know what to say -  the Orion QSK sounds the same
whether the amp is on or not.  Making some contacts last night in the RAC and
the practice session for the Stew Perry with N1MM Logger set at 22 wpm, I hear
the tuner uppers, the vfo swooshes, and the terminally confused stumbling
about, between the dits...  Other than hearing the amp keying versus when in
standby, I could not hear any receiving difference in the Orion...

  So far color me happy...

  denny / k8do