[TenTec] Ailing Orion 565

To: TEN TEC Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ailing Orion 565
From: "Reed O. Krenn" <reed_ww3a@alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:45:02 -0500
Greetings, O wise and gracious Orion afficiandos:

My Orion 565 coughed up a hairball this afternoon. I turned the rig off
after it had been on for several hours and shortly after caught a whiff
of something electrical burning. I eventually traced the smell back to
the Orion, and when I turned it back on, it came up displaying V 2.04b3
firmware (it was recently modified at the factory), but the S meter
backlight doesn't come on, and there is no audio from either receiver.
It appears to be receiving signals, and the sweep works, and there is no
RF out when I transmit.A Master Reset provided no improvement. The smell
seems to be coming from the front panel assembly, though there are no
obvious signs of overheating.

Has anyone experienced this failure before? Is a trip to the
'mothership' in order?

Reed / WW3A

--
Reed O. Krenn