[TenTec] TT Omni VI final overcurrent protection? ParasiticOccilation Pr

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT Omni VI final overcurrent protection? ParasiticOccilation Protection?
From: "Denton" <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:08:52 -0800
I have posted this thread before...but thought would try again and see if I
can come up with any new ideas or info..
Currently, I have a Paragon II and an Omni VI Plus upgraded to option 3
running off separate TT 961 power supplies and all is working very well.

I want to revamp the power supply setup to a homebrew system consisting of
35 amp power supply, blocking diode and battery pack consisting of 8, fused,
38 amp hour 12 vdc gel cell batteries. This will feed, via a MFJ power
strip, the two hf rigs, two vhf/uhf rigs and assorted items in the shack
that use 12 vdc. I will be using clamp on chokes on all dc leads.

I will also be using Hopkins 48-440 hrz 20 amp rfi filters inline with the
dc input to the hf rigs. Although these are designed for tesla coil use, I
think they have suffcient filtering for dc use. I will also have the
recommended Airpax circut breakers to each TT hf rig in the dc plus leads.

I have had problems in the past using a common power supply battery setup to
feed the Omni...apparently parasitic ocillations cause the drivers and
finals to draw overcurrent faster than the Airpax can react, and I have had
to send the Omni back to TT 3 times for repair to have the finals and/or
driver transistors replaced...not much fun!

I have had numerous rigs utilizing a common power supply and battery
setup....only the Omni has given me problems.

TT says it due to lack of electronic current limiting and parasitic
occilation taking out the finals, despite the omni feeding a flat load. I
think it may be due to rf getting into the finals via the dc lead...

I could just leave the Omni on it's own power supply and feed the rest of
the station with the homebrew power supply and batteries, but that kinda
defeats what I want to accomplish.

Any ideas or comments?