Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:38:12 -0800
Jim:

Check my website again for an update on what you heard.  After an e-mail
from TT, I learned that the hang time of the AGC must be increased to 3-4
seconds to alleviate the distortion.  So I made another recording, which is
posted at:

http://n6ie.com/The%20Orion%20II%20AM%20Receive%20Audio%20Distortion%20Problem.htm

There are two clips of an single transmission from a short-wave broadcast
station on 40 meters.  The recording was made in stereo using the Aux
outputs of both receivers into a Berhringer mixer (no processing or EQ) with
both receivers fed from the same antenna using a 'Tee' connector.  The 870
was on the left channel and the Orion II on the right with both outputs
recorded simultaneously.  The high frequency cut-offs were carefully
adjusted using random noise and the spectrum analyzer in Audio Test Bench so
that both had their -3dB points set the same.  Low frequency roll offs were
set as low as possible (PBT=0 on the Orion II, Lo Cut=0 on the 870) and
audio levels were set as close as possible to each other.  Recording was
done in 44.1 kHz .WAV file in SAW Plus32 and the channels then split into
two separate files which were then converted to MP3 using Ultimate Encoder
at 128 kbps.  The AGC was at the AM default level on the 870, and 7 dB/sec
on the O2 with 4.00 seconds of hang time.

The improvement is remarkable.  There is slightly less bass on the Orion and
both radio's AGC actions were different, but otherwise distortion,
especially during deep fades, was nearly the same in both with a slight
subjective advantage going to the Orion II.  Also, the Orion II has less
op-amp noise when listening in the headphones than the aging TS-870.
Considering the legendary audio of the 870, that's a very good report for
the Ten Tec!

TT says they will address the issue in a future update.

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)