Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:30:18 -0500
What's "wrong" is that they haven't done it.  If TT offered a good OCXO
option at a reasonable price, that would be fine. The TCXO they use is
disappointing compared some other rigs - like the IC-7000.

If INRAD would offer a < 1 ppm product at $50, I would buy.  If it was
$100, maybe...

If you want warm-up stability, you want the oven to be energized
continuously, even when the Orion power is off, e.g., from a stand-by
power source or from Orion power ahead of the power switch.  And of
course, a stable OCXO also needs to be accurate.

Even better would be an option to lock to an external 10 MHz standard,
which I already have on hand.  This would appeal especially to
UHF/microwave operators.  It is easy to do in principle, but phase noise
could be a problem.

73 Martin AA6E