Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:25:52 -0500
The Orion is just fine for PSK31 as far as I've ever experienced.  That
is, as long as you fine tune the signal - with the computer or using the
VFO.  If you were only allowed to listen on a spot frequency (no
tuning), then the accuracy and drift of the VFO would be a problem on
the higher bands.

FWIW, my old TS-520S works quite well on PSK31, after warm-up!

The reason I would like lower drift and higher accuracy is that
sometimes I want to measure frequencies accurately.  Secondarily, it's
nice to be able to dial up a net accurately the first time.  (But what's
the point of being more accurate than everyone else on the net?)
Finally, having paid for a premium rig with 1 Hz dial resolution, I'd
like an option for a better osc. or external reference.

73 Martin AA6E