Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion/O2 Drift Problem-who is interested in a fix?
From: "Carter, K8VT" <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:54:30 -0500
Ron Castro wrote:

>  The stock radios drift about 20 Hz (15 MHz WWV) in the first 10
>  minutes, then very slowly correct themselves to the starting point
>  over a period of about 3 hours, plus they tend to drift with shack
>  temperature.  I often hear Orions on the air, especially on the TT
>  Sunday net, and very often they are 20 Hz low in frequency.

Well, I guess you've exposed me as a Luddite!

20 Hz!!!???? Even when running RTTY with 170 Hz shift, I don't recall
worrying about 20 Hz.

When I was a freshly minted Novice, my dad gave me his rig (it gave him
a good reason to get a new rig for himself). The receiver was a
BC-348...and its dial calibration was every 100 kHz--- 7.0, 7.1, etc.

Times change and I guess we worry about stuff because we can.   Now if
you'll pardon me, I've got a buggy whip that needs to be polished. <grin>

73,
Carter
K8VT