[Orion] Orion RX and Monitor "Going To Sleep"

Subject: [Orion] Orion RX and Monitor "Going To Sleep"
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:03:34 -0500
During the ARRL DX contest this past weekend, my Orion (v1 w/1.373b5
firmware) went to sleep about 6 times, just as VE7TK described it in his
email of April 5, 2006 below.

Only once were we (W2CDO, who was the other op, and I) conscious of what
may have been the cause -- when we plugged in a headset, and then only
once when we did that.

All the other times, we individually noticed that while the noise floor
seemed the same, there were no signals to be heard.  We ended running an
ever so slight amount of audio from the B VFO to monitor things.

The monitor and sidetone functions also died twice, unrelated to the
receiver dying.

In both cases, powering down and back up cured the problem. But when
you're CQing during a contest, those seconds lost are crucial.  You lose
the Q's and the run frequency!

Has anyone figured out what's going on here?

73,
Eric W3DQ

------------------
 From VE7TK:

I am having some issues with static and my Orion 565. When I first
acquired my Orion I noticed that on occasion when I plugged in the
earphones the

receiver would die.  All the lights were on but "nobody was home."  I
wrote it off as the wrong type of headphones
8 ohm stereo).

Time went by and I acquired some 60 ohm impedance David Clark stereo
headphones and tried them out.
Same problem!  This has occurred with both version 1.xxx and 2.xxx
firmware.  (I have reported the
symptoms to Ten-Tec Service and Ditsnbits.)

Now I carefully ground the tip, ring and sleeve before attempting to
plug in the phones but sometimes this doesn't
even work. It's a real pain if your trying to get some rare one and grab
the phones only to have the receiver die!

I'm on the wet coast and humidity is not an issue plus I don't own a cat
and the station is well grounded.

Now the question - have others noticed this issue?  Turning the Orion
Off and ON rejuvenates the receiver.

Thoughts appreciated.

73,
Rick