[TenTec] Superb VOX

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Superb VOX
From: ac9s@mchsi.com
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 03:46:39 +0000

- Trip   - 5%
- Anti   - 20%
- Hang   - .45 Sec

I am running my microphones & some other audio gear through a Multi-switcher
which allows me to normalize all the audio inputs and adjust the outputs to
the individual radios.  It is a pretty slick proposition, but sure invalidates
any radio mic settings.  I have the audio "socks" (foam shields) on the
microphones and tend to really close talk them.  I don't speak very loudly.  I
think it comes through in a contest better than the typical "shouting" you
tend to hear.

I agree that VOX settings are highly individual and I suspect they won't
translate well to another setup and person.

With respect to the emergency power discussion.  I use the West Mountain
PWRgate charging an 80 amp gel cell I picked up at the local industrial
supply.  It is another slick device.  My intent was to use it for Field Day to
bridge generator fuel changes, but I have it in the line to the O2 for
everyday use.  I am kind of absent minded and sometimes forget to turn on the
power supply.  I will work all day with the Orion at 50 watts before I begin
to see the dial light flicker - that is usually my clue that I need to turn on
the 12 volt supply.   During field day it works great with the generator
changes.  You don't even know the power has dropped, except for the sudden
quiet.  Last year we had some generator problems and I was the only station
that managed to stay on the air.  I took a couple of hours to straighen out
the generator, but I never missed a beat - with the FT100d, I am not about to
subject the O2 to Field Day.

Keith
AC9S