Re: [TenTec] S-Meters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] S-Meters
From: "Bill Rowlett" <kc4atu@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 03:09:47 +0000
Signal reports are done with your EARS and the filter between them, not a meter.

KC4ATU

From: wo8l@aol.com
To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] S-Meters
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:18:48 -0500

Hi,

Since the whole concept of RST is pretty theoretical, what's the different how an S-meter performs? I've been a ham for 35 or 40 years and my 579 to station is not some other ham's 579 to a station.

I have a Kenwood TS570 with a bar illustration for an S-meter. I'm not sure what it means. I also have run a Yaesu FT-897D. I had no idea what's going on with that digital bar which goes back and forth, back and forth.

My best rig is an OMNI VI Plus. I like watching that meter go up and down. It's a very smooth S-meter but I don't really care if it's several hairs generous or stingy.

It's all relative. If you can hear them, you can work them.

73s,

Rick
WO8L
North Carolina