Re: [TenTec] How to K2 and Paragon compare?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How to K2 and Paragon compare?
From: Paul <designer@quickdata.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:04:13 -0800
Doc - The Paragon might be out of inventory, but it and the K2 are
traded all the time in the various ham classifieds. And rig
comparisons are much of the meat of newsgroups such as this. I
apologize if I am misinterpreting your situation, but it sounds like
you want to stay away from rigs that require Two simultaneous button
pushes. The ArgoV and SGC-2020 come to mind. In order to access
important features, you must hold one button down while pushing
another.

The front panel of the K2 is about 1/4 the size of the Paragon. There
are about 12 push buttons on it and from the different colored text
above and below each function, that means either a  "shift" button
has to be pushed or pushed and held, in order to get to the second
function.

I don't have enough RX time on the K2 to compare. It is certainly
rated high in the Shurewood Engineering reports (which has the Orion
II on top). But your location, antenna, operating modes need to be
considered. If I don't work contests, if I leave in a rural area - no
strong nearby stations,  if I just have a wet noodle up a glorious 20
feet, will I need certain features or be able to work someone with
one rig but not the other? Probably not.

There is a big power difference. So if you want 100 W on the K2 you
will need an external amp or get the K2/100 model.

73,
Paul