Re: [TenTec] Scout HISS-terectomy?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout HISS-terectomy?
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@gti.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:32:02 -0500
I can attest to the capabilities of the old Trimm headphones. In my
pre-novice days (1963-1964) of building code practice oscillators, my
dad came up with a set for the project. They were old even then,
probably dating to the late 40's or early 50's. They look sort of like
the headphones that Gregory Peck wore in "12 O'clock High". I don't know
where or when my dad got them. I used them in my SWL and Novice days,
although the hard bakelite shells hurt my ears. After I upgraded to
"better" headphones, the old Trimms were seldom used, until this past
winter of horrible 80m band conditions. Could the headphones that helped
win WWII, help win the war on QRM and QRN? The magnetic phones with
their steel diaphragms form a built-in CW filter. They have a noticeable
low and high rolloff with a peak around 850 Hz. Amazingly, they also
reduce the effects of QRN static. They are now my weapon of choice for
CW work.

I wired the elements in parallel. With my Corsair and Paragon, I use an
8 ohm to 500 ohm matching transformer built into a 35 mm film canister,
but with the Scout they work better without the transformer. I'd like to
find another pair, but I'll probably settle for building an outboard
passive filter to emulate the bandwidth or the Trimms with modern
headphones.

Trimm is still in business, but they now make telephone switchgear, I think.

                                                73,

                                                Bob WB2VUF