[TenTec] Some questions about Omni VII remote IP streaming mechanism

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Some questions about Omni VII remote IP streaming mechanism
From: "david feldman" <wb0gaz@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:10:31 -0600
Downloaded and leafed through the programmers reference manual and have some questions about Omni VII remote IP streaming "RIP and TRIP". I haven't looked at the remote GUI code...

1. Is the audio encoding compressed or PCM with 16-bit samples or other? Is the codec conversion from audio to data linear or is there a "u-Law/a-Law" type curve involved? Are the sample big-endian or little-endian?

2. What is the audio sampling rate (therefore the approximate data rate for audio)? Is the sampling rate fixed or does it vary depending on the needed audio bandwidth in the receiver-to-remote link?

3. Is there a specification for sending CW at the "dit/dah" level vs. sending ASCII characters from a keyboard (ten-tec brochure talks about a USB CW interface but I couldn't find mention of that in the programmer's spec)?

4. Is there any buffering delay to smooth out packet arrival timing? Is there a link delay/latency budget or is link delay limited to some maximum time and/or jitter?

Trying to get a handle on whether this system might "play" through a cellular wireless (I'm thinking Verizon EVDO because that's what I use) link, which has ~250 mSec latency and might make for some interesting (cellular)wireless to (amateur)wireless applications...

Very tks,

73 Dave WB0GAZ wb0gaz@hotmail.com