[TenTec] Need info on a 6-pole Ten-Tec filter with a 8043 stampedon a cr

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Need info on a 6-pole Ten-Tec filter with a 8043 stampedon a crystal
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:53:16 -0700
I thought I had some notes here on this but can't find them. Anyway here
is my question:

I have a filter that was suppose to be a model 217, 500 Hz 9MHz. It came
in a used Ten-Tec Omni-C. There was far more loss through the IF than
what I would have expected with this filter inserted so I began
troubleshooting (I had an Omni-C for 24 years so I knew it wasn't
right). I could find nothing wrong with the filter switching circuit or
the two-gain setting buffer amplifier (provides more gain when this
filter is inserted). Next I disassembled my Argosy that had a nice, new
217 filter in it (I bought it myself some time back). The filter out of
my Argosy is clearly stamped a model 217 with another part number of
8036 on one of its crystals. This filter works great in either
transceiver. It is also an 8-pole filter. The suspect filter I had
finally pulled from the Omni-C transceiver has only 6-poles. It also has
no stamped on model number. There is a 8043 part number stamped on one
of its crystals.. I suspect it might be the Ten-Tec 250 Hz, 9MHz filter
as the passband is around 750Hz but with more attenuation than the 217 I
know is good.  Any info?

73,
Jerry

--