[TenTec] Orion A9 board Capacitor failure.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion A9 board Capacitor failure.
From: Randy Hargenrader <k4qo@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 11:10:14 -0400
Guys,

I came into the hamshack/office to start my day and found my Orion out
of commission.  The screen was dark and the ALC light was very slightly
lit.  When I cycled the power switch, I would get the usual double click
of relays but the screen would actually turn darker than when it was off
and the ALC light was faintly lit.  The analog meter light would not
come on as well.

Assuming it was a power problem, I took off the bottom panel and
inspected the A9 Power Distribution Board.  C6 was noticeably stressed
with top protruding a bit in a classic electrolytic failure mode.  It is
a 470 uF 16 volt electrolytic - replaced it with a 470uF 25 volt one I
had in the bin.  Upon power up, the Orion came up as normal and with the
last settings I remember from the previous day.

It occurred to me that the display back light seemed to be getting
darker over the last week, but I didn't think anything of it until the
hard failure.

It is an easy repair and it took longer to get the cover off than to
diagnose and fix the problem.  Hope this helps someone...

73,
Randy
K4QO