Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585 noise level

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585 noise level
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:41:36 -1000
Is the audio noise noise output high, with no antenna connected, or just
the S meter reading? Close you eyes or don't look at the S meter, and
listen to whether the receiver is working normally. Try to determine
whether it is just a DC offset in the S meter circuitry or if the noise
level is actually higher than normal. Does the noise sound different
from Johnson noise, or is there some some character to the sound of the
noise that makes you think something is generating noise in addition to
normal kTR noise.
What happens if you exercise the RF gain pot?
A difference in S meter reading of two S units from no antenna, to
antenna connected, may be normal.  I have over 3 S unit change here.

DE N6KB