Re: [TenTec] Slaving radios

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Slaving radios
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 09:22:33 -0700
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:36:31 -0400, Carl Moreschi wrote:

>I think the limit on a serial cable is about 50 feet.

Not in the real world. The REAL limits on serial cable are 1)
capacitance and 2) noise pickup.  If you use low capacitance cable,
and if the cable has good noise rejection, you can go hundreds of
feet at decent data speeds. Plain ordinary CAT5/6/7 cable satisfies
these requirements quite well, and is an excellent serial cable if
you use it properly.

See Chapter 8 of the RFI Tutorial that is on my website for detailed
advice on this issue.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

BTW -- another excellent reason for slaving radios is diversity
reception. You can play a lot more tricks with signal processing to
pull signals out of the noise if the radios are on precisely the
same frequency with their oscillators in phase and their audio in
polarity. W8JI has talked about this.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC